Monday, April 28, 2014

Monday- Random Thoughts

1) “Changing the World” is hard work. I am not sure the Bible suggests that that is our mission. No matter what our churches or Vidal Sassoon Jesus says. 


2) Coveting is one sin, in the 10 Commandments, that has to do with our feelings - There is some need for us to push back on our feelings. How does this apply to homosexuality or other sins people try to say they can't help their feelings? Maybe we can, to some degree?

3) Just because we are able to do something does not mean we should.

4) A bird flew in our house the other day. It scared Bethany (it might have something to do with my girlish screams, but I'm not sure). She called it a Sting-Bird because it was trying to sting her stuffed monkey.

5) I often take comfort in the ordinary. Otherwise it is easy for me to despair that everything is the same, or despair that I am not living as radical, on fire, extreme Christian life as others (not God) say I should.

6) It is easy for me to get depressed about things, but not as easy to talk about it.

7) Except bacon.

2 comments:

Kwame E. said...

«4) A bird flew in our house the other day.»

Ah, so there are more people out there who this sort of thing has happened to. We’ve twice had to deal with birds inside the house, and once I saw a bird hanging out in a grocery store right above the fruit & veggies sections. Birds are such ill-mannered things.


«5) I often take comfort in the ordinary. Otherwise it is easy for me to despair that everything is the same, or despair that I am not living as radical, on fire, extreme Christian life as others (not God) say I should.»

At this point in modern history you’d be doing a big favor to everyone--including the body of Christ--just by doing all the little things that we tend to do or are expected to do. That is because of the deterioration of societal adherence to norms and orthodoxy.


«6) It is easy for me to get depressed about things, but not as easy to talk about it.
7) Except bacon.»

Yeah, even in my own case it kinda gets me down when I get grab a sandwich from this or that fast food joint, I open up the wrapper, and the bacon inside is bone-dry and falling to pieces. It’s enough to move you to take part in those Internet surveys the fast food people mention on the back of the receipts.

Anyway, try not to be too bummed out brother. You have family, a spouse, kids; lots of people at your age and older would love to be where you are, but are not.

D.B. said...

It was a little strange with the bird, though my daughter was probably more frightened by my girly screams when the thing tried to attack me.

Some bacon is better than none. I am not too bummed out lately, but my brain takes me to weird places at times.